Put Your Best Foot Forward
Since it only takes a handful of seconds to make a first impression, don’t overlook these important tips.
- Know the company and the industry. Information should be available on the internet.
- Read the literature in the lobby while you wait.
- Show motivation and enthusiasm.
- How well do you fit into the corporate culture? Pay attention to your surroundings
while waiting for your interview. What’s the culture like? Do you see yourself fitting in?
- Dress the part.
- Turn your cell phone off!
- Show confidence with eye contact and attentiveness.
- Talk specifically about past work experiences. Stay away from gossip or bad mouthing former managers or companies.
- Be honest.
- Take care of personal hygiene before the interview i.e., body scent, breath, hands and fingernails.
- Try not to let personal feelings get in the way of answering the questions.
- Be specific in your responses and don’t go off on a tangent.
- Don’t be late or too early.
- Don’t smoke before the interview. If your interviewer is allergic, you’re in trouble.
- Don’t chew gum.
- Be nice to the receptionist.
- Be yourself!